As we look to the year ahead, there are changes galore! We’re choosing to bring you understanding in layers, knowing there’s a lot to process. Be on the lookout for several follow ups unfolding beginning Monday, August 3. Here’s our ReOpening Plan: Installment One.
I’m writing today to confirm that, in light of the Governor’s order on 7/17 and current trending, the start of the school year will be a virtual one.
I acknowledge news of a virtual start brings about mixed emotions. For those anticipating a return to campus, it’s disappointing. For those concerned about a return to campus, perhaps relief? But we have good news! First, we’re believers in the living and sovereign God we serve, and in this season of constant change, He is the One who never changes! Second, we are blessed with both staff and parents who are committed to the school mission we embrace – regardless of the location of the learner. Third, all summer we have been planning a robust program and consistent schedule built upon the ability to pivot between on campus and online locations – so we move forward! Finally, we continue to invest in a return to campus as soon as it is reasonable and responsible to do so.
With this commitment to starting virtually, we are also adjusting what those first few days of school look like. We are pushing our first official day back a week to September 1, to allow time for our staff to prepare both their physical and virtual classrooms, and time for you to be preparing at home. It also provides extra time for us to connect with you, your child, and your family as we establish treasured partnerships for the year to come at NorthCreek Academy. We are committed to STARTING STRONG and establishing SUCCESS for the year.
At A Glance
8/17-31 Staff Orientation
- Establishing consistency – defining student expectations, developing expectations/mediums for student accountability and parent communication
- Equipping for success – reviewing established protocols, training on technology
- Planning and preparation time – department work, grade level work, classroom set up, technology appointments
8/26-28 Family Preparation
- Establishing school-ready routines – sleep and meals mindful of the coming school schedules
- Preparing at home learning spaces – workspace, technology, supplies
- Connecting with teachers – introductions, getting to know your child activities
9/1 First Day of (Virtual) School
- September 1-4: Week of Welcome – Emphasis on COMMUNITY and RELATIONSHIP building, establishing EXPECTATIONS and PARTNERSHIPS preparing for a successful academic launch
While it’s possible that our County may come off the watch list in the coming weeks and/or we may secure a waiver from the County, regardless we’re committing to start school virtually and remain virtual through at least September 8 to allow both you and our staff to plan and prepare for a strong and successful school year ahead. (For those preferring to remain exclusively virtual once we return to campus, we are excited about the investment in staff and technology we have made to enable your student to take part in our program alongside their classmates.)
- NorthCreek Academy will begin our Virtual Academy on Tuesday, September 1.
- We are committed to a successful school year and have crafted a consistent weekly schedule throughout the year, regardless of location – whether online or on campus.
- We are prioritizing in-person instruction as much as possible and will apply for a waiver from the county when available (awaiting their published guidelines in order to move forward).
- We are excited to offer the option of virtual learning throughout the year for those who prefer or need this.
- Once we get the green light to return to campus, we’ll do so only when able to do so reasonably and responsibly.
So concludes ReOpening Plan: Installment One! Coming soon to an inbox for you:
- Schedule Design Overview – highlights of the program components and student week
- Health and Safety Protocol – there are well over 40 initiatives; we’ll start highlighting 10 or so!
- Technology Guidance from the Tech Support Team – recommendations and resources
- School Supplies – supplies needed and tips to prepare an at-home workspace and to equip your child for a return to campus
ReOpening Plan: Installment Two will be on its way Monday, August 3. Enjoy this beautiful summer day and we’ll put the finishing touches on the correspondence to come. And please know of our gratitude for your patience and flexibility as we try to navigate these days of change with grace.
For the Leadership Team-
Administrator and Principal
PS: A word about uniforms – plan to have a few uniform shirts handy for the start of school. While holding school online, we’re expecting students to be in uniform shirts, with hair and teeth brushed! No bedheads, even me! Once we return to campus, we’ll get back to looking sharp in full uniform.